Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Am I Blue?" : Don't Judge

I recently finished reading a short story called "Am I Blue?" by Bruce Coville. This story teaches a great lesson to everyone who has been bullied or has been in a bad situation. Nobody deserves to be judged, and you cannot assume the way people are just by the way they look, talk, or walk. In the story, an indecisive  teenage boy gets to see what the world is really like, when a fairy god father comes into his life.  Vincent, the main character, has been deciding for the last year if he is gay or not. Even though he still does not know, people think he is, so he is brutally bullied by one of his classmates. His fairy god father tells him, "You may be, you may not. The point is, you're getting picked on because people think you are- which is why I've been sent  to work with you. Gaybashing is a special issue to me." This quote supports the idea, there is no reason for people to place their judgement on others.

When Vincent finds out that his fairy god father, Melvin, likes the same gender, he was a  little offended that Melvin had to be his fairy god father. Melvin was there to look over Vincent. He told Vincent that he wanted to be this way, that he gave up his life to be this way, and he does not care what people think of him. Melvin explains how so many people are hiding who they are because they are afraid of being bullied. That is when Melvin lets Vincent use the Gayard, which lets you spot people of "similar persuasion". This Gayard plays a huge role in this story, and it shows Vincent how many people are hiding that they like the same gender. Vincent is surprised to see how many people were judged, and that they are different than people think.

Melvin explains to Vincent that he should not let anyone define him, or to tell him who he has to be, because he can be anyone he wants, and there is not a reason to hide it. This is what everyone in the world should be like, they should not be afraid to be who they are. I have had times where I have been bullied because of the way I am. I am short, very short. Throughout elemetary school, and a little bit in middle school, people have teased me for being so small. Yes, it did hurt my feelings in the beginning, but I learned to accept it and not let anybody's mean comments get to my head. People assume that because I was short, I couldn't do things they could do, and that I couldn't stand up for myself. But these people are wrong. Being short is no different than being "normal size" or tall, besides that you could reach a book from a taller shelf.  But I realized... who are they to judge me because I'm short? Although I have never been bullied like Vincent has, and I am not in as bad as a situation that he is in, I am still able to understand that his character is being judged, and it is just wrong. Both Vincent and I have been judged just because the way we look or seem. It is never okay for someone to hurt someone else is because they are different. So many people in this world are afraid of showing who they really are because of fear.  There have been cases when bullying causes others extreme harm or even death.

"Am I Blue?" is a great story that has a very meaningful lesson. I hope one day, everybody in this world will be accepted for who they truthfully are without any problems. At the end, Vincent says, "And my third wish? I've decided to save it for when I really need it-maybe when I meet the girl of my dreams. Or Prince Charming. Whichever." This shows how Vincent changed. He realized he could like whoever he wants to like, because he is his own person and no one can tell him who to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment