I recently began reading the second book in The Princess Diaries series, called Princess in the Spotlight. The title of the book pretty much explains the situation the main character, Mia, is going through. Like the beginning of the first book, nothing in Mia's life seems to be going smoothly. When Mia finds out her mother is marrying, and even worse, having a baby with her math teacher, she struggles to keep it a secret. But some things in life are not as bad as she thought. Mia has a secret admirer, and is trying to figure out who that could be. I think it is important for Mia to look on the posative side of things to take her mind off of the negative things.
For example, Mr.G, her Algebra teacher, is moving in with her. She believes this is probably the most embarrassing, horrifying, worst thing that can happen. What can be worse than randomly finding out that your Mom and Algebra teacher are pregnant, moving in together, and will be married soon. When I first read this, I thought about how horrible Mia's life is. But later I realized, hey, maybe Mr. G will raise her grade, and help her with work. Maybe he won't be as hard on her and maybe, he won't be such a bad stepfather/algebra teacher. Mia has a way of turning posative things into negative things, and if she keeps doing that, she is going to get herself into some trouble.
I think I have a similar problem to Mia. I worry a lot, and I also think of negative things instead of realizing how they can benefit me. As a runner, I sometimes race with older people, like ninth graders. Recently at Nationals, I remember going through the list of girls and seeing how a lot of them were in the ninth grade. Of course, the first thing that comes to my head is "thats not fair, they are a whole year older. They have a full year of more training." But really I could say how they could make me run faster, and be stronger. I realized how they can help me throughout the race. Mia needs to realize that some things are benefitting her, and making her life a ton easier.
Anothing thing that Mia is thinking too negativitley about is being a princess. Mia finds it totally unreasonable and terrible that she is the princess of Genovia. She thinks that her life is ruined. She will never just be a normal girl again, and she won't be a normal teenager, and do normal teenage stuff without having a bodyguard following her every step she makes. I think there are some posative parts to being a princess. Mia already has her future picked out. Although it may not be the one she wanted, she still doesn't have to worry about what she has to do in the future. Also, maybe after Mia learns how princesses act, it might be a little fun. I think it is imortant for Mia to turn negative things in life into posative things.
This is so good! You have a really strong voice in your blogs that really reflects you. I also loved how you related it to life. Though I have ever been in your exact position, I've thought before that I had a disadvantage because my opponents had more experience than me. I never thought of it as making me stronger. Great job!! <3 Marya
ReplyDelete